Friday, August 22, 2014

Why attrition is good for companies??

As I embark on the verge of completion of 1 year in a Govt job, the greatest cause of disbelief to me has become my change in mindset, regarding my job....while I was determined to leave this job as soon as possible since the time I joined, gradually I'm finding myself entangled in the Psu-life & culture. In fact, it is the case with 99% govt employees as hardly any have left or want to leave because they neither want to forego their job-security nor their post-retirement financial security(read 'pension') ,& understandably so. But, is Zero-attrition actually good for companies?? Maybe, on paper, it is the dream for any organization to boast of such utopian retention-stats...but there's also many flip-side's to it. Every organization, big or small, has a pyramidal structure of growth, which invariably narrows towards its tip.Hence, if there's no attrition at all , then the wide base of fresh-recruits are all going to be vying for the topmost position of the company 30 years down the line.Also, zero-attrition implies no mid-level recruitment which means the same employees who join as trainees & stay back at the same place for their entire live, being unaware of the outer world , hence leading to a myopic & claustrophobic organization-culture.Therefore,companies... let some employees leave if they want to , let them look for greener pastures....alongside, let some willing others come in...in short, let the fresh air come in !

No comments:

Post a Comment